What does it mean to expand an order beyond what a qualified client sales lead initially indicates? For sure, it drives increased revenue, but what else is involved?
Over my professional sales career, I’ve often been able grow deal size by 2X to 3X with the following thinking and process:
- Step 1 – Recognize that not all deals are created equally – to grow them, the sales leads need to be qualified, including the client being large enough to support a larger deal – where big problems and big ambitions may exist.
And, as a seller:
- Step 2 – You need to be of the mindset that a lead or Request For Proposal (RFP) is the ticket that gets you into the theater but is not the seat that you want – so think big.
- Step 3 – Then, you need to determine how to provide the client with relevant and timely unexpected business value to support a larger deal.
- Step 4 – With the right quantified value expression in place, you need to realistically mitigate any client perceived risk in taking on something that was not planned.
- Step 5 – Assuming the budget is tied to the original RFP, you need to contact a Power Base member with the influence to increase or reallocate budget for a larger deal. With the budget source identified, you’re ready to close the larger deal.
Of course this is not going to apply to every lead, but the thinking and motivation should. So look beyond the horizon to see what others don’t and accelerate your professional success!